Thursday, December 6, 2012

George Lucas and Walt Disney Tie the Knot

My two absolute favorite visionaries of all time are now one! Well, not really. But figuratively. I know, I'm a bit behind the boat on voicing my two cents here. (Hey - I was neck-deep in book revisions when the news exploded). But I have to comment - I just have to. STAR WARS is my childhood, my teen-hood, my adulthood. It has shaped everything I do creatively. So why not chime in? (Besides, I'm sure my 6 followers really want to know ;)

First - I am actually thrilled Lucas chose to hand over the reins to Disney. I LOVE DISNEY. No Mouse House hater here. I don't care what you say about their commercial sell-outness or their behind-the-scenes Death Star-style working conditions. The company has made classic fairy tales a permanent part of my psychosis. So who better to take on the movies we WISH Lucas had made instead of the prequels. Right?

Speaking of the dreaded New Trilogy...Now that most fans are angry at Lucas, I think it is wise that he is publicly stating he is keeping a very distant role in the new films. According to him, “[If the filmmakers ask],‘Who’s this guy?’ I can tell them. I mean, they have a hundred encyclopedias and things, but I actually know a lot. I can say, ‘This is this and this is that.’ Basically I’m not — I don’t really have much to do.”

Yeah, we'll see if that holds. Hiring Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3) was a big positive sign. In fact, I will now be stalking him on Twitter to see if he lets slip any 140-character clues about the script (which I doubt). So fingers crossed that my favorite, favorite story of all time (well, a close tie with Pride & Prejudice) will get the star treatment it deserves. And maybe, just maybe, I can be a part of it. Here's wishing!


No comments:

Post a Comment